3.01.2007

Snow Day

Whoops, strike out snow day - it's more like Blizzard Day!

We had been hearing that we were supposed to get a huge blizzard. When Hubs and I woke up this morning, there was nothing - no snow, no wind, nothing - big bummer. So we both got ready for work and I headed out. Between the time I looked out the window, then turned around to put on my coat and grab my bag, it went from nothing to pelting snowy, ice rain. On my way to my car, I called the office to let them know I was coming in and to look for me if I wasn't there in 1/2 hour (my office is in a town about 15 miles southwest of our house and it usually takes 12-15 minutes to get there). I hopped in my vehichle and backed out onto our road when my co-worker called. She recommended not coming in at all and told me to tell Hubs to stay home (he works 10 miles south of the town I work in - and his office is located in the country - seriously it is surrounded by corn fields!). That was at 7:05 - our office officially opens at 7:30. Today it also closed at 7:30. Hubs is able to work remotely from home so he called in. By 10:00 they had closed his office completely (most people didn't even come in or turned around and left shortly after arriving). They decided to shut down when they closed the state highway that everyone uses to access the company. One of Hubs' co-workers lives less than 1/4 mile up the road - he couldn't even make it home so one of the owners drove him there on a tractor! Another couple of co-workers got stuck at the office until tomorrow. Good thing for them that the office is attached to the other owner's house and they have food and other accomodations for them.

So we are at home and snug. It has been a very nice day. I'm getting caught up on laundry and even pulled out some cod to marinate and bake for dinner. Got a few crafting projects completed and read several chapters of a book I just got off of Amazon. Hubs even brought his laptop in the family room so we could snuggle while he fixed computer issues. Since most of his client's businesses are closed, he's had a pretty light day too.

The wind is absolutely roaring right now. We live in a wonderful, old farmhouse that's been built onto many times - lots of places to hear the wind! The wind is so bad that we can't tell if it is done snowing and just blowing now or if it's still snowing and blowing. Originally we heard 8-12 inches - now they've upgraded it to 15-20. I'd say we have at least 14-16 here. I opened the front door and took a few photos so you can experience this with us - I'm sure you're all jealous of our weather! Cori - I especially thought of you when taking these - no chance you'll see this in your current location!

First shot from our front porch - doesn't seem so bad but those drifts by the garage are about 4 feet high. Here you can see the wind a little better.
Looks so peaceful, doesn't it?
More blowing
Check out the drifts near the swing set.

Hope you're all staying warm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! It's 70 and sunny here today so def no snow!

Your pics look awesome. I'd love to all snuggled up in a house while it snowed outside. Especially if I didn't have to drive. How exciting!

J-D-K-G said...

Isn't this weather crazy? We could hear the weather howling all night here and it just continues to snow. I too, love your photos. It reminds me of living at my parents on snow days. Thanks for sharing them!