10.21.2005

Another busy weekend

Last weekend started out with date night on Friday night. Chris and I grabbed dinner at my house and relaxed for a bit before heading into town for some galaxy bowling (black lights, lots of fluorescent features, funky music, etc). Due to the out-of-town football game (Harlan at Denison) we pretty much had the bowling alley to ourselves. We had a great time, played a few games, went for a starlight walk in the park and went home and watched more LOTR (I think Chris thinks I need to see the whole thing again before the wedding!).

We got up early in the morning and headed to Sioux City to visit with my parents. We had so much fun! We all ate a great lunch at Applebee's, and then hit the Palmer Candy store to get some treats for Mom and Dad and some Twin Bings for my co-worker, Luke. We then headed out to the pumpkin patch. We found some adorable decorated gourds, lots of little pumpkins and a wagonload of big pumpkins. After visiting for a little while at Mom's house, Chris and I took Dad back to the nursing home and decorated his room with little pumpkins and replenished his chocolate stash. It was really a nice day with them.

We then took off for Brookings, SD. We got there and met my friend Mindy and her daughter Delilah at their house (husband Tony and older daughter Mariah were out elk hunting in the Black Hills) and headed straight for George's - my favorite Brookings restaurant! YUM!!! We spent the evening and most of the next day with Mindy and Delilah just hanging out, checking out the changes on the SDSU campus, and checking out new stuff in town. In the afternoon, we headed to the memorial service for Rosie Malo, the wife of my professor Doug. Doug and Rosie were so good to me all the while I was in Brookings and I really felt the need to be there. I am so sad for Doug and their kids, Denise and Rob. Despite the sad circumstance, I got to visit with quite a few of my former professors which was a lot of fun.

We left Brookings and made our way back to Sioux City where Mom had a fresh pan of pumpkin bars waiting for us! Yum! My mom is great! Not to mention, she also had hemmed a couple of pairs of jeans for me - AND finished our ring bearer pillow which we brought home. We then left and headed back to my house arriving just in time to head to bed.

This week has been a pretty full week with dance classes, BYF and finishing up wedding stuff. We really feel like we're ready to go. I think we have most everything taken care of that we can have taken care of at this point. Tonight and tomorrow we will be attending a marriage conference in Des Moines with some friends from our small group. We are pretty excited about it and are feeling it'll be a good tool for us as we are just a month away from the wedding.

Hope you've all had a great week!

1 comment:

Tamara B said...

wow, alot of info there. didn't know your dad was in a nursing home. i grew up going to one of those to visit my gpa and don't at all like them.
are you going to the family life marriage conference? it was great, ryan and i went just a few months after we got married. so worth the money. but, since you're not married, don't forget to continuously gaurd your heart. there's a lot of quiet time for you to work in your workbooks which could be pretty initimate times. so, keep your distance and just think of how lovely it will be to experience the greatest intimacy on your wedding night (or the next morning if you're too tired like we were :)